Sunday, March 6, 2011

Corned Brisket Beef and Corned Beef Ribs

Well... 6th of March is upon us... SO time for some Brisket curing to ensure we are ready for the 17th... This year I decided to also cure some Bone-in beef ribs... I love the beefy flavor of them, And I think after the cure, they will take to the slow cooking quite nicely... We will see... They sure LOOK great! I used a 'Full' brisket, with both the 'point cut' and the 'plate cut'... It weighed in about 9 pounds.


Cure:
In a large saucepan, HALF filled with water... Add...


2 cups Diamond Crystal salt
1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Honey
2 TBS. Chopped fresh ginger
1 Cinnamon stick
1 TBS. Yellow Mustard seed
2 TBS. Coriander seed
2 TBS. Black Peppercorns
1 TBS. Cloves
1 TBS. Allspice Berries
4-5 Crushed Bay Leaved
4 Crushed Chili Arbol


Bring to a simmer and let all dissolve....


Cool to 80 degrees and stir in 1.5 TBS Cure Salt #1. Put brisket and ribs in large plastic non-reactive covered container and fill with ice to 2/3 of the way up. Add Spice mixture, and enough water to ensure all meat is covered... Refrigerate for 10 days, turning daily and making sure all is covered in brine.


3 comments:

  1. I've corned my own beef a few times and have yet to get one I love. Your formula sounds terrific and I'll give it a try - how does it work for pastrami?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is about my 7th-8th one... First few were salty/flavorless... This works really well... I've made Pastrami twice with it (Using the Plate and reserving the point cut for the brisket) I'm looking forward to doing that this time, as all of my cilantro 'bolted' and I will have fresh coriander seeds to coat it in! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Dude referenced this cure recipe in a guest post on my bbqsmokersite.com blog. So, I linked to it from there to share a little link love. First time on your blog. Will be adding it to my Google Reader blog list for sure!

    ReplyDelete